Health and Fitness: It’s More than Just Fitting Into Your Jeans
Have you ever wondered why the CalorieKing program focuses on changing lifestyle habits? The reason is simple. Fad diets focus on quick fixes to shed pounds – and often you see people employing these tactics to look good for just a special event. There is no big picture. But is this viable? We don’t think so. CalorieKing understands health and fitness isn’t just about losing pounds, but rather gaining a better quality of life.
The idea of a the bigger picture of healthy living is one shared by the World Health Organization (WHO). WHO defines health as “a state of complete physical, mental, and social well-being and not merely being the absence of disease or infirmity.” That is a significant statement. It means that being healthy just doesn’t mean “I’m not sick,” it means you have quality of life.
The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (USDHHS) takes it a step further by defining fitness as “the ability to carry out daily tasks with vigor and alertness, without undue fatigue, and with ample energy to enjoy leisure time pursuits and to meet unforeseen emergencies.” So now we understand health and fitness is something much more than just being able to fit into your jeans. It is about feeling well – and feeling well about yourself – so that you can live life to the fullest.
So how DO you live your life to the fullest? How do you achieve a good quality of life or total health? The CalorieKing program focuses on helping you take the steps necessary to change habits you’ve learned over a lifetime regarding your fitness and nutrition levels, but your physical health is just one piece of the overall puzzle. Besides becoming more physically fit, as the WHO points out you must also consider your: emotional, mental, spiritual and social health in order to have complete well being.
We’ve compiled some CalorieKing Tips for Total Health:
Developing Physical Health, Vitality, Stamina and Strength:
- Eat well balanced meals and enjoy regular exercise – the CalorieKing calories in/calories out principle
- If you drink, cut down on alcohol
- Kick the smoking habit
- Get enough rest and find ways to shed stress
Develop Your Mental Health, Alertness, Creativity, Wisdom, Open Mindedness, and Enthusiasm:
- Read and exercise your mind
- Critically analyze the media, advertising and engage in discussions with others
- Be alert to new ideas; be curious about the world around you
- Strive for logic in problem solving; practice with puzzles and games
- Strive for creativity in your problem solving – look for holistic approaches
Develop Your Emotional Health, Enjoy Contentment, Being in Harmony with Yourself, and Feel Personal Freedom:
- Develop self confidence and self control
- Learn to analyze, accept and share your feelings
- Take charge of your emotional life by choosing positive thoughts
- Accept yourself as you are – celebrate your uniqueness
Develop Your Spiritual Health and Enjoy Peace With Yourself and Others:
- Again, nurture a positive mental attitude and appreciate the world around you
- Follow your own conscience and sense of right and wrong
- Be honest with yourself and others
- Be of service to others
Develop Your Social Health and Enjoy Supportive Relationships:
- Choose and nurture close and mutually supportive relationships
- Develop independent and interpersonal communication skills
- Develop sharing and caring habits within your circle of family and friends and then share with others
We hope you will think about more than just losing weight as you take your journey with us. We hope you’ll get to know and accept yourself – to build on your inner strength to pick up and move on when you face a challenge. We hope the CalorieKing community is a place to affirm your successes and those of others. Opening up to, and being part of a larger group who have experienced the same things as you brings you accountability, advice, comfort and long term supportive relationships. We know feeling fit and achieving a broader quality of life will bring joy to you and those around you along the way.