The holidays can be a stressful time for many. Whether it is the rush to get things done, the change in routines or family pressures, we can all relate to the feeling that things sometimes get out of control.
Stressed During the Holidays?
Managing stress is important, as often it is a key trigger for many of us to overeat. Whether food is seen as a comfort, a reward, or even as the one thing the family can agree on, it is key to remember that overeating will not solve our problems. In the long term giving in to that stress trigger can make us lose self-esteem, or feel guilty if we’ve put on the pounds.
And then there is that steep hill to climb to take the holiday weight off. We can lose motivation once we’ve strayed from our healthy habit routine.
This year, try to focus on what stressors might trigger the urge to overdo with food and make a plan to manage your feelings. Remember the CalorieKing program can help you stay on track – regularly logging your food, exercise and feelings can provide you with a routine and an outlet to recognize when and why you might stray.
We’ve also put the CalorieKing’s Tips to Managing Holiday Stress list for ideas on how to manage your stress without food!
Social and Creative: Distract yourself from the pressure.
- Stay in contact with friends; vent to one another about the highs and lows
- Prioritize your social calendar; surround yourself with supportive people and say no to negative environments
- Express yourself in your blog or journal
- Listen to music that relaxes or energizes you
- Take time out for your hobby; share or include lonely neighbors and friends Read More »