Controlling Your Risk
Since strokes are the third leading cause of death and a leading cause of disability in America it’s time we got educated. A stroke is a blockage or rupture of the blood vessels that feed the brain. Given that it affects blood vessels it is easy to see the connection with high blood pressure and why it is important to control external risks to the disease such as:
- Keeping a healthy blood pressure – know your numbers!
- Maintain a healthy body weight – obesity and a high BMI (body mass index) can heighten your risk.
- Eat a well-balanced diet – with lots of fruits and veggies.
- Beware of high sodium intake – and the hidden places it can lurk – from frozen foods to white bread, to antacids.
- Keep exercising – a good goal is 150 minutes of aerobic exercise each week making sure each muscle group gets attention Read More »